With all my hiking experience, I think I have gained the qualification to give some tips on hiking. I mean not to say that I am a pro but kind of share my knowledge to those who like to hike but not necessarily obsessed with it. Let’s be real, hiking is not easy. Especially if you can only tolerate nature to a certain extent.
Hiking is a difficult task and can be very exhausting. If you’ve experienced the body sores after, then you absolutely know what I am talking about. I don’t work out that much or go to the gym so that could be the reason but in the bigger grand of scheme, I am sure there are some of you out there that can relate. Truth be told, I only hike in the name of snap-chat and Instagram 👻📱.We all have different motivations and this just happens to be mine. If you are judging me right now, it’s because you do not share the love of photography and storytelling. From an average guy to another, here are some tips that might change your hiking experience for the better.
- First and foremost, plan accordingly.📝. I am all about the spontaneous lifestyle but it’s just never worked out for me when it comes to hiking. Check the weather and get a good idea of the area or the mountain that you will be hiking.
- Dress accordingly. By checking the weather beforehand you will know what to wear and carry. Here in Cape Town, the weather is constantly changing no matter the season. They say sometimes you get a taste of all the seasons in one day. So having a warm sweater on deck always comes in handy. And if you go hiking on a good day, a pair of comfortable sneakers will do just fine. (No need to invest in hiking boots unless your one of those.)
- Get a hiking buddy. I have had my share of hiking alone and I tend to mostly focus on the hike and getting to the peak, which I guess is a good work out mission but you sometimes forget to enjoy the nature and the hike. Personally, hiking with somebody always makes the experience fun and worth it. You never know, the bonding that you might share along the hike could create lifetime memories. Besides, who is going to take a dope Instagram pic of you?
- Make sure all your electronics are fully charged. If you’re like me and you like to document your hikes, having a portable charger becomes your best friend. Also how do you expect to entertain your social media fans? For safety purposes, you need your cell phone too just in case of any emergency.
- Have a good breakfast. If you’re a foodie like me, this is the best day to have all favorite breakfast meals all in one. Your bacon, eggs, pancakes, cereal, toast and coffee. Trust me, you need all the energy you can get and you’re going to work it all out anyways. Also pack some snacks and bottles of water. Keeping hydrated is a must. For my choice of snacks, I prefer packing healthy. For example apples, fruit salad, a sandwich but also a bag of chips would not hurt anybody.
- Timing is everything when it comes to hiking.🕗 For me the best seasons to hike are either fall or spring. It’s not always too hot or too cold. You also don’t want to hike too early or too late in the day especially if the weather is not consistent. I like to hike at my own pace. With all the photo-shoot sessions and the rest stops that I love to take, you want to make sure you get back in good timing. We all know in order to get a good picture you want the perfect lighting. Also hiking in the dark is not an adventure you would want to partake.
- Get yourself a good back pack. You definitely need a handy back pack where you’re going to bring all your stuff. Use a back pack that’s light and comfortable to carry. Furthermore, don’t forget your basic essentials. Sunscreen, sunglasses, painkillers and last but not least bug spray and hand sanitizer.
If you find this tips helpful, make sure to share and comment. We fat boys, Instagram and snap-chat addicts gotta stick together.